Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Drama

Drama is why people read blogs, right? Well, here is your daily dose. I may be jumping the gun, really. However, I am pretty sure that this WILL be a source of drama in the future. More so than the stress and elevated heart rate it induced today.
Over and over again I hear, "Whatever you do, don't let someone else pay for your wedding. That gives them control over what you do." For those of you who don't know us, Casey and I are poor. We are paycheck to paycheck kind of people. If we were to pay for our own wedding it would be a potluck affair in our back yard after seeing a JP. Which, honestly, might be fun, but our back yard doesn't accommodate that many people, and I don't want to have to clean the house for that many people to come over.
Since we got engaged last October, we have talked about the wedding a lot. We pretty much know what we want. Most of all, we want to have our reception at Independence Brewery, catered by Boomerang's, on 10/10/10. We want it to be fun. We want to have wedding pie instead of cake. We want it to suit our personalities.
After a conversation with my mom today, I think she has very different ideas of what this will be like. She seems unconvinced about where we would like to have our reception, or the fact that I would like to have a small ceremony at a separate site with only family and close friends. She doesn't seem to buy the Boomerang's catering idea. I don't want to have a roast beef au ju dinner; I don't want to have a DJ; I don't want the kind of obnoxious photographer my sister had; I don't think it is necessary that all of our friends come to the ceremony. I want my parents to be able to enjoy the day, but I want to have a wedding that I can enjoy and have fun planning and participating in (I know I will enjoy the whole getting married part, no matter where it happens. Even if it were in a grocery store aisle).
Going through this "planning" with my mom is not going to be fun.
Oh yeah, and I want ornamental kale as a centerpiece, damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment